Sunday, May 10, 2020

Working on Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day, and I'm at work. Because, well, Covid. I probably could have asked for the day off, but when my manager was making the schedule however many weeks ago, the thought didn't even really occur to me that maybe I should try to not work today. All the days sorta blend together at this point, and May 10 was just a date on the calendar. 

So here I am. 

I'm bored. 

This is a great problem to have, really. It means people aren't testing positive, and I don't have to call public health with the bad news. Every now and then the phone rings, and I get to try and answer whatever question the person on the other end has, and more often than not, I just end up transferring them to the lab techs in the back who know a lot more than me about stuff. 

But I get a lot of time just sitting and doing nothing. So I read some blogs. It's early enough in the evening that I'm not too tired to want to write some myself.  It's not even so much that there is anything in particular I feel like I need to say, but I know that writing is for me a big part of coping with life and with change, so I'm letting out what comes, and maybe somewhere in all this will be inspiration, or encouragement, or just something to make someone smile, or maybe in the end I will just have a bit of catharsis from having created with words. 

...

And now that I've said all that, I've been sitting here for the better part of 15 minutes with no clue what to write next. Random thoughts float through my head, and I can't figure out if they are worth fleshing out into concrete terms on paper or if I should just leave them as random thoughts. 

There are some pipes making incessant banging noises here in the office that I debated ranting about. Normally I am good at tuning out annoying background noises, but for some reason these pipes are driving me bonkers. 

I've also considered a discussion on mask-wearing because, well, they're a big thing nowadays. For all y'all who only have to wear one at the grocery store, let me explain a few things. It is not fun to wear them for any sort of long duration. Your nose feels forever squashed (even after you take it off, although WHAT a relief it is to remove the damn thing at the end of your shift), if you wear glasses they constantly get fogged up, and breathing recycled air gets really old. You know how we all got super intense about hand hygiene when all this hit? Yeah, if mask-wearing becomes more prevalent, I predict oral hygiene will be the next big deal...

All that aside, I am thankful that I actually have masks to wear at work, as well as everyone else I work with. I do think they are necessary, especially as we are not always able to maintain 6 feet of distance in the office. But I don't have to like it...

I think I'm done with the verbalizing thoughts now...  Sorry for rambling and being random...

No comments:

Post a Comment