Monday, April 30, 2007

Strange tendencies

Today in a strange twist of fate I found myself at work unable to turn off my brain, but relegated to menial tasks as simple as making charts. Generally I do not mind making charts; it can actually be a kind of relaxing chore compared to other things like filing, and it allows me the opportunity to think about things other than work...today for some reason, my mind came to a discovery about my job. I have learned that when one is stuck working at something for which they are highly overqualified, they develop certain anal tendencies about their work in order to keep themselves from going completely insane of boredom.

These anal tendencies can be anything from being particular about which way the letter stickers are laying in the sticker bucket, to developing an annoyance with people who don’t keep the tray-extender pulled out on the copier so that legal sheets fall on the floor when printed, to getting even more frustrated with people who do not seem to understand the concept of not taking the last copy of a form so that there is something left behind to make more copies from.

And I have decided upon reading back over these tendencies I admit to possessing, that it is most certainly high time for me to leave this job to pursue any vocation other than that of office assistant. My maternity leave in September can not possibly come soon enough for me, and after my leave is up, you can be well certain I will not be returning to this particular job. By golly I am bound and determined to find something else, anything else, and preferably something a little more in line with my qualifications.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marleah, you might consider going back to school so that you will be qualified for managerial positions -- which you would be awesome at!! If you're thinking how can I do that with a baby on the way, just trust me that it's easier when you're in your 20s than in your 40s, almost 50! Love you, keep blogging.

Sarah said...

I can highly sympathize. I've developed way too many of the anal tendencies myself. Yay for leaving in October!

Justine Teresa said...

mmm...babies...
ah the joys of incredibly monotonous jobs. i empathize

LStew said...

i hear the position of Queen of Awesome is coming open. you should go for that. you'd get it for sure!

Post a Comment