Saturday, June 12, 2004

Clinging to His grace

So it was my birthday this week, the big 2-1. Can't say that I really feel all that different, but it was fun to reminisce throughout the day over the past year and think about how much I've changed. All in all it was a good day, beginning with a surprise breakfast and ending with a trip to see Mamma Mia in Toronto...my boyfriend spoils me. :) Granted, it was a little odd having my first birthday away from home, but since we took care of all the usual birthday traditions over the weekend it wasn't too bad.

The past couple of weeks have had me contemplating forgiveness and God's grace. Particularly in the last few months I have become increasingly aware of the sins in my life, and I must admit I find it frustrating to no end that even though I realize it every time I fall, it doesn't seem to be enough to keep me from falling again and again. Last night I was reading in Romans and I found a number of passages that I've been clinging to:

"But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." 3:21-24

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand." 5:1-2a

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners Christ died for us." 5:6-8

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." 8:1-2

I have no choice but to hold fast in the knowledge that God has saved me purely through my faith in Christ, for clearly I can not be saved on my own merit. Add it to my list of sins that I so often forget this and think that I'm "basically a good person". I am not, rather it is only the precious blood of Jesus shed for me on the cross that can wash me clean and save me from the wrath of God. He alone can set me free. Would that I not forget this so easily...

No comments:

Post a Comment