Saturday, May 14, 2005

More fully me

I've continued to feel very introspective over the past week or so. Long commutes and quiet days at home have contributed to this, as well as a renewed interest in probably my favourite author, Madeleine L'Engle. Most people would know her as the writer of A Wrinkle in Time;however, she has also written numerous other books both for young adults and general readers. There's something about her characters that draws me in, helps me to feel, to heal, and to be me more fully me. She has a way of creating within me a sense that still waters really do run deep, and that maturity doesn't always come with age, that sometimes it comes from experiences, and sometimes you're just born with it, this innate depth of character that is who you are. I find peace within her stories. I cannot profess to be particularly widely read, though I have read a good many books in my so far short lifetime, and it strikes me that there is a great difference between secular authors and Christian authors (whether their books are specifically Christian or not). Ms. L'Engle is a Christian, and while her books are not specifically Christian, there is a sense of hope in her writing that I do not usually find in the writing of non-Christian authors.

On a completely unrelated note, I've given Homestead my two weeks notice and am currently completing my second last shift there. To be completely honest I cannot say I have particularly enjoyed working here. My eyes have been opened to many things, and I've learned a great deal here, the main point being that I don't like working single-shifted, nor do I particularly appreciate having spent four-years at university to spend my entire time cooking and cleaning for people. Granted, I knew this is what I'd be doing when I signed on for the job, but I did not anticipate having my patience so tried. I'd like to think I'm a fairly patient person, but man! Anyway, I will not be sad to be done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment