Sunday, July 24, 2011

Easy Tomato & Cucumber Salad

So I wanted something yummy with my garlic bread for lunch yesterday, and since I had the ingredients, I threw this salad together.  I think I first saw the recipe in a Kraft What's Cooking magazine, but I did it totally off the top of my head this time.  *grin*

Ingredients:
cucumber
tomato
red onion
feta cheese
feta & oregano salad dressing

Start by chopping up the cucumber and putting it into a bowl.  I used about 1/3 of a cucumber, and I ended up with enough for two servings.

Chop the tomato and put in the bowl with the cucumber.  I used about 2/3 of a medium-sized tomato.

Chop up some red onion and feta cheese and add to the tomato and cucumber.  In hindsight, I could have just sliced up the red onion, but I was using the end of an onion, so I don't know how well it would have worked.  And yes, when you buy real feta cheese that comes in a block, you chop it up to make it crumbly.

Add some salad dressing and toss to coat.  This recipe works best if you can let it sit for a few hours in the fridge so all the flavors have a chance to blend together.  It tasted okay when I ate it for lunch after a few minutes, but it tasted even better at supper when it had the chance to sit.  It would have tasted even better if I'd been able to let it sit overnight, but I wasn't about to eat it for breakfast.

And there you have it, easy summer salad.  I'm looking forward to trying it again when I have fresh tomatoes from the garden to use.  Mmmm...

And I just have to say this in response to the glorious thunderstorm and driving rain on my roof that woke me up last night at 2am:
"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways;
he does great things beyond our understanding.
He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,'
and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'" Job 37:5-6

"Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving;
make music to our God on the harp.
He covers the sky with clouds;
he supplies the earth with rain
and makes grass grow on the hills." Psalm 147:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment