Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Herbed Garlic Butter

Now that we've been getting rain on a more regular basis, my herb garden has taken off, the basil in particular.  I've got so much basil, I don't know what to do with it all, so I've been madly searching the Internet for recipes that call for fresh basil.  Most recipes include tomatoes or all kinds of weird ingredients that I don't have on hand, like pine nuts to make pesto.  Who knew that pesto had pine nuts in it?  Well, I didn't at any rate.

Finally, I found this great recipe for herbed butter.  The idea is to use it on a French baguette, but I just put it on some rolls, as seen here.  I also used it on a couple of hamburger buns that I had in the freezer, and that worked fine too.

Here's how to make this yummy deliciousness...

Ingredients: margarine or butter, parsley, basil, green onion, a clove of garlic, black pepper

Soften 6 tablespoons of butter or margarine.  I used margarine, and it worked just fine.  I suspect the deliciousness of this recipe would be heightened if I used butter, but I didn't have any in the house at the time of making this recipe.  6 tablespoons of butter also equals 3/8 of a cup if that's easier for anyone.  It was easier for me because I actually have a set of measuring bowls that has a 3/8 cup measure.

Chop up two green onions.


Add two tablespoons of minced parsley.  (When I say "minced", I mean "finely chopped".)  Then add two teaspoons of minced basil and a clove of minced garlic.  And finally, add 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.

Stir it all together to get this delicious herbed butter.  It will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week.

Spread the butter on a roll or baguette or some other sort of fancy bread.  The original recipe said to broil for 4-6 minutes with the bread about 2-3 inches away from the broiler.  I just put it in my toaster oven and toasted it for about 6 minutes.

And voila!
Absolutely delicious...




3 comments:

Ali said...

How delicious! Homemade garlic/herb bread is the best! I bet this would be great with a big plate of lasagna. :) If you'd like, I wanted to invite you over to share your best recipes at my new link party, Recipe Sharing Monday. I'd love for you to join in the fun :o)

Justine Teresa said...

mmmm. looking forward to it!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

what a nice recipe! I'll have to make this butter!

Post a Comment