Sunday, July 08, 2012

Introducing...

...Nathan John, born on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 10:40pm.

He weighed 6lb 15oz and was 20.5cm long.  I got the little baby I was hoping for.  :)  Reuben was over 8lb, and Kaylee was 10lb; this is a huge adjustment for us.  Everything with the labour and delivery went well, even though I'd been switched to OB care in my 38th week due to concerns about my platelet levels.  My midwife was still present at the hospital, and I was so grateful for her help in getting me off the ridiculous monitors that the hospital seems to think is necessary.  The OB resident that day seemed to think I needed to be on the monitors constantly, and therefore needed to be stuck in the hospital bed, not fun when you're trying to go naturally.  I can see why so many women decide to have epidurals if that's the kind of stuff they have to put up with.  Luckily, the attending OB overrode that decision, but the nurse decided not to actually take the monitors off of me even when they weren't keeping track of things.  My midwife quickly put things to right when she got there, and things went much more smoothly from that point on.  An hour and a half after being admitted, Nathan was born! 

We spent that first night in the hospital, and then my sister Laura brought Reuben and Kaylee in to visit us the next day.  They are super excited to have the baby brother they were hoping for.


We are all settling in nicely at home now.  Tim went back to work this week, and I think I managed fairly well with just me and the three kids.  Nathan seems to sleep better in the day than at night, and his nap doesn't really match up with Kaylee's, so I'm pretty sleep-deprived at this point, but otherwise, I'm starting to feel a bit like my pre-pregnant self again.  That said, I have every intention of nursing Nathan for at least a year, so I'm not sure how long my brain will be stuck in that particular fog, but I'm quite certain it won't be nearly as bad as pregnancy brain.  I am hoping to get back into posting a little more regularly, (when/if I can find the time), and I can already feel the creative juices slowly starting to flow again.  And then again, that could be due to my renewed relationship with that faithful friend, my morning cup of coffee.  Mmm, coffee.  How I have missed thee!

Anyway, that's all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment