Friday, July 13, 2012

Some thoughts

I have a few moments to myself, so I thought I'd take the time to see if I can get a blog post out.  Nathan is sitting quietly beside me in his bouncy chair, and the other two kids are occupied playing with two older children from our church that have started coming over for a few hours on occasional afternoons.  It's a great arrangement that the kids and I both love because they get somebody to play with, and I don't have to try to keep them entertained during that dead time between nap and supper.

I'm discovering a couple of things.  One, I'm really feeling the itch to get back into blogging more regularly again.  I've had a couple of ideas for posts, some from when I was pregnant and just didn't get around to writing and some now that life is starting to go back to normal.  Except that's one of the other things that I'm discovering: life has to have a new normal now that there's an infant in the house. 

Which leads to another discovery: it's hard to create a normal routine with an infant and two other children.  I know that this shouldn't really come as a surprise, and it doesn't really.  I think I'm just feeling the frustration of enjoying having some energy back now that I'm no longer pregnant, so I want to be doing so many different things, but feeling like I can't because I'm tied down to an infant schedule and still trying to deal with some serious sleep deprivation, so I need to try to conserve the energy I do have.

For example, I wish I could get back to the morning routine of getting up with the kids to read blogs and write posts, but for some reason, I feel like every minute of my mornings is now taken up with just getting everybody dressed and fed.  And school hasn't even started yet!  I'm worried about how much more hectic mornings are going to get when I have to actually have the kids fed and dressed in time to get Reuben on the bus.  Anyway, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, and hopefully I'll have some kind of better morning routine figured out by then.

But it does mean that I also don't get the blogging time in that I wish I could, and I'm not so sure it would work to switch to writing in the evenings because by the time the kids are in bed, all I want to do is crash on the couch and veg for a little while before I go to bed myself, usually at a ridiculously early hour in anticipation of being woken every three hours (or more frequently) to feed the bottomless pit that is a two-week-old infant.

Actually, even writing this post now, at suppertime, feels a little strange.  But maybe this needs to be the new normal?

Part of the problem is that since I've been out of the blogging routine for so long, I almost don't know where to start with the posts, so I'm hoping that by just writing this now, it will pave the way for more posts, and maybe I just need to sit down at some point and write out for myself all the post ideas I have and plan out a bit when I might try to write them.  Ooh, planning posts...  Will I?  Will I?  Will it actually happen?  We will have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment