Saturday, March 19, 2011

Some New Recipes

I've gotten back into trying some new recipes again lately, partly because with Spring coming, I'm feeling adventurous again, and partly because Reuben's had some health issues that have necessitated a change in diet for a little while (no yeast, very limited sugar).  The limited sugar thing presented a huge challenge as far as how to do any sort of baking.  No yeast would be easy enough because I could just make muffins, but try to make muffins with no sugar!  And don't get me started on cookies with no sugar...  Here's an oatmeal cookie recipe I tried:


1 cup honey
1 egg
3/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat together shortening, honey, egg, water, and vanilla until creamy.  Add combined remaining ingredients; mix well.
3. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes.

I also added about 1 tbsp cinnamon and 1/2 cup of raisins.  The final result was both chewy and flavorless.  I wasn't thrilled, and neither were the kids.  I have doubts that I'll make another attempt at sugar-less cookies, unless I try some sort of ginger cookie with molasses as a sweetener.

We also Grilled Chicken Rollers.


They were quite yummy, but you need to make sure you have the barbecue hot enough or the chicken won't be done in the time they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment