Wednesday, June 08, 2011

God Doesn't Need Coffee

"I lift up my eyes to the hills--
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip--
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep." Psalm 121:1-4

It's good to know that God doesn't need sleep.

I don't know about you, but when I find life the most challenging as a mother, it's usually because I haven't gotten enough sleep.  When it's hard to be patient, it's usually because I'm tired.  When mornings are difficult, it's because I just want to go back to bed and get more sleep.  When I'm grumpy, it's often because I've been or am being woken up at some ungodly hour.

Except if God doesn't sleep, then technically no hour is an ungodly hour.

I need to get better at looking to Him for the strength to get through those hours when I'd rather be sleeping.  I need to get better at trusting in His limitless patience while I dangle at the end of my rope.  I need to get better at keeping my focus on His never-failing love when I'm staring bleary-eyed at my coffee maker trying to figure out why there's no coffee in the pot even when I scooped the grinds into the filter and pushed the button to make it go.  Oh wait.  It needs water?  (And yes, one morning I actually forgot to put water in the coffee maker when I tried to make my morning coffee.  See what being tired does to you?)

Because God's strength is the only thing that can overcome my desire for more sleep.  And the joy that comes from relying on Him is WAY better than any caffeine buzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment