Tuesday, June 07, 2011

On pests and homeownership

Something ate my garbage last night.

I don't know if it was a raccoon or a squirrel or something else, but when I looked outside this morning, our garbage can has been tipped over, the lid is off, and there's garbage all over the ground. Given that we're also having a lovely thunderstorm this morning, it's going to be very yucky to clean up later. Joy.

I strongly suspect that most homeowners have to deal with pests of all sorts, but it feels like the battle is never-ending. Whether it's bugs in my laundry, chipmunks in my basement, ridiculous amounts of spiders living in the corners of every room, and big black ants that crawl on me while I'm sleeping, I never know what to expect next!

Obviously, the next pest problem is whatever is tearing the lid off my garbage can to eat my garbage. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't gone for my compost bin because that's where all the food scraps go. Although given the smell coming from said bin lately after all the warm weather, I can't say that I blame the poor bugger.

The neighbour suggested a way to rig up the lid so that it's tied down and nothing can get in. That sounds like a lot of work to me as it involves drilling holes in one side of my garbage can because we only have one handle. I think we'll probably just end up keeping the garbage can in the garage.

Stay tuned to find out which pest we get to deal with next...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marleah, I've had this problem also and went out and bought a garbage can that was raccoon proof. It has two latches that hook over the handles.. It can make it awkward to open and close but it keep the critters out. This garbage can is not cheap so you may want to keep your eye out for one on sale. I only wish I had bought one with wheels on it to take it to the road since we have such a long driveway.
Aunt Patty

Anonymous said...

Well, you know what it's like for us - raccoons, possums, skunks, so dad puts the garbage cans in the garage. I guess it's all part of living with all the creatures God has made. Hang in there. ~mum

Post a Comment