Wednesday, March 17, 2004

This is something I wrote a while ago while I had some free time on my hands...I came across it and it made me smile to remember the good old days when I had time to sit and ponder...

Issues of Boredom
The problem with being a student I've discovered, is that although we profess to be inundated with countless hours of homework and useless classtime, truth be told more often than not we find ourselves with entirely too much spare time on our hands. (Frankly, this is due in part to the epidemic of procrastination that seems to breakout every September and miraculously disappear upon completion of exams in April.) Outright laziness aside, it follows that one would strive to occupy themself in some form or fashion so as not to die of complete boredom.

Herein lies the dilemma. As a student plagued by the injustice of inordinately high rates of tuition, I must confess our options for entertainment are limited. Not to mention the fact that civilization is a good thirty minute hike in only one direction, and bus services are sporadic at best. I need not remind you that with temperatures at a chill factor of twenty below zero and pathways covered with snowdrifts past my knees, this spells a recipe for disaster in the form of hypothermia and frostbite.

What to do? What to dooo?

Several thoughts come to mind...

Cow-tipping. A last resort at best, the very mention of this joyous rural past-time conjures delightful images of cows being tipped the wrong way and small people such as myself never being heard from again. Besides which, there seems to be a not-so-surprising lack of cattle in the area...

One could potentially attempt to cure the procrastination epidemic by actually completing school work ahead of time, but then we'd lose the fun of those late night cramming sessions or papers being printed off mere seconds before the beginning of class deadline. And for those of us non-academic types who curse the education system with each breath, the idea is rather less than appealing. After all, there's a life out there waiting to be lived. Why waste time in a stuffy classroom?

There are, of course, your typical every-day diversions such as card games, movies, Star Trek Voyager re-runs, and who could forget the all-important and ever-so-amusing FreeCell, to which I have developed a strange addiction.

Am I a complete moron for finding it all so mundane? Is it wrong to want something different for a change? It's like having an itch, except you can't scratch it...

No comments:

Post a Comment