Monday, October 24, 2011

Apology to my Morning Coffee

Dear Morning Coffee,

I like you a lot.  You greet me every morning with your caffeinated goodness.  Your warmth snakes it's way through me and gives me energy to face the day.  I don't know what I would do without you.

But I have to apologize today.  I forgot to buy white sugar when I got groceries two weeks ago, and my sugar bowl is completely empty.

So I had to put brown sugar in you this morning.

I know.  I'm so sorry.  I felt like I was committing a sacrilege.

But don't get me wrong.  I still love you, and this is all my fault.  You still taste pretty good, and I find myself wondering why people don't use brown sugar in their coffee more often (because isn't brown sugar supposed to be less refined than white sugar?  Maybe I'm wrong...excuse me while I go perform some Internet research...)

Okay, so I'm wrong.  Turns out brown sugar is just white sugar with a bit of molasses thrown in.  Maybe that's why you, my precious coffee, taste slightly different this morning.  But I think it's a good different, and it certainly doesn't mean I like you less.

So, Morning Coffee, I wish I had better news for you, like that I'm going to get groceries today and will get more white sugar then.  But I'm not.  Grocery day is still two days away.  So you're going to have to make do with brown sugar until that happens.

I think we will be able to survive.

With thankfulness that you really have no say in the matter,
Your faithful coffee consumer

2 comments:

Laura Shilton said...

I know people who put brown sugar in all the time!! I actually kinda like it too! :)

Justine Teresa said...

:D great post!
next you'll be trying raw sugar....;)

Post a Comment