Friday, October 28, 2011

Ponderings on dumb drivers

Yesterday, I posed a rhetorical question: why do some drivers think they can ignore the rules of the road and traffic signs that have been posted for a reason?

I won't attempt to answer this question because it would probably need to involve some convoluted psychological drivel using big words that I wouldn't understand anyway because I took sociology, not psychology, so I wouldn't even know what I was talking about.  And besides, the answer to the question isn't really the point.  I'm just venting at certain drivers' idiocy.

Let me explain a bit further.

As some of you may be aware, they've been doing some sewer work in the major intersection near our home for about two months now.  This construction has involved the closing of most of the lanes that make up this intersection so that there is only one two-way lane going through it in either direction.  It has also meant that the left-turning lanes are closed, and the intersection is littered with no left-turn signs because as a major intersection with only one lane going through it, if one person decides to stop and wait for the intersection to clear so they can turn left, well, it creates traffic havoc for everyone waiting behind them.

It might also be worth noting that the construction information signs state that the work will be going on from September to October 31 and to "Expect delays." 

I don't need to tell you that this has created some minor annoyances for us because generally, we have to turn left from the one main road onto the other main road in order to get to our house.  We've had to take detours for the last two months, and it's getting a little old. 

Anyway, back to my frustration at stupid drivers.  You recall I mentioned the no-left turn signs?  Well, it seems that there are a preponderance of drivers out there who think that they don't have to obey said traffic signs.  You can't tell me they didn't see them because when I said the intersection was littered with them, I meant, the intersection is littered with these signs.  They are ev.er.y.where.

And yet, without fail, nearly every single time I come through that intersection, I see at least one person turning left, either in the lane opposite me, directly in front of me, or some moron behind me.  I have laid on the horn for at least two or three turning directly in front of me.

Just yesterday, while on the way home during a particularly busy time of day, (which means traffic gets backed up for over a kilometer just because of the sheer volume of vehicles), I was waiting first in line at the light.  I noticed the driver behind me had his turn signal on, and I watched in disbelief as the light turned green, I proceeded through the intersection, and he/she sat and waited to turn left as everyone else behind him also waited.  Needless to say, I was the only one to make it through that particular green, and I'm sure everyone behind that driver cursed.

But with all the insanity and annoyance at the stupid drivers who get away with their thoughtless misdemeanors, there is some justice in the world.  I got a ridiculous amount of thrill and pleasure the other day as we waited once again in that line to get through the light.  We weren't moving, and I could see that someone was waiting with their turn signal on to turn left.  The light changed, the intersection cleared, and the driver proceeded with their.  Right at that moment, as the car was in the process of going around the corner, the unmarked police car behind them proceeded to turn on his lights and pulled that person over to give them (I hope) a ticket with a hefty fine.

I laughed out loud and applauded that officer.  It made my day to finally see a driver get busted for screwing up traffic.  I wish all those annoying drivers would get tickets.

But that's not likely to happen, so I will content myself with honking my horn at them when I can and hoping beyond all hope that they finish with the construction by their October 31st deadline so our driving habits can go back to normal.

A city construction job finish on time?  Is that even possible....?  More rhetorical questions that I'm not even going to get into...  Ever. 

And I feel a little better after venting about this.  Really people.  Just obey the traffic signs.  The world would be a whole lot happier, and the traffic wouldn't be any more screwed up than it already is.

No comments:

Post a Comment