Sunday, May 08, 2011

For My Mum

I had in mind to post something completely unrelated to Mother's Day today; I didn't want to be cliche.  But I've changed my mind.  Mother's are worth being cliche over.

I don't think I ever really truly appreciated my own mother until I became a mother.  Sure, I loved her, and I said the appropriate "thank-you for everything's" on days such as today.  But that deep-down, heartfelt appreciation for all the little things she did and sacrificed for us that I never even know about, that has not come until more recently.

Frankly, I don't think it's ever possible to truly appreciate your mother until you are one.  You can try, but you probably will still never quite get it.

I now understand how often my mum probably had to do things she really didn't want to do, but did them anyways because she loved us.  I really wish I had appreciated her cooking more when I was a kid.  (There is nothing more frustrating than slaving over a meal, only to be told by two small children even before they sit down that it's "yucky".  Mum, I deeply apologize if I ever called any of your food "yucky".)

I now understand why the waterworks always seemed to flow so easily for my mum.  I've decided that once you give birth, your hormones are irrevocably changed, and you can now cry at the drop of a hat.  Really, if your kid drops his hat somewhere you don't want him to, like in a puddle, you just might cry.  I'm kidding about the hat.  :)  But not about the tears; I cry for everything now.  It's ridiculous.

I now understand just how much my mum must have sacrificed for us to give us the loving home that we grew up in.  I now understand just how often my mum's needs must have been pushed aside for the needs of us kids.  I now understand just how much she must love us.

So Mum, even though words could never say it well enough, thank you.  Really.  Truly.  Thank you.  I think I'm finally starting to appreciate all you've done for us over the years. 

I love you, Mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment