Sunday, May 15, 2011

My mornings

I have a morning routine.

One of the kids, (usually Reuben, but sometimes Kaylee joins too), wakes me up early.  By early, I mean before 6am.  The rule, however, is that we do not go downstairs until at least 6:00, so I keep him quiet-ish in my room before we sneak down the stairs, trying not to wake Kaylee up if she is still asleep.  I put on my pot of coffee, and I get Reuben a snack of cheerios or crackers and a cup of juice.

And then I do the blog thing. 

I'm not like other moms that get up at 5am to have quiet devotional time and workout.  I tried that.  It didn't work for me.  I am all for starting my day by focusing on God and bringing Him into the journey with me, but my kids are just too distracting in the mornings for me to get that quality one-on-one time with Him, and I just do not sleep well enough at night to try to get up before they do.

So I read blogs of other women who do get that quality quiet time, and I am inspired, and I think of Him and pray as I write blog posts while looking up scripture passages on BibleGateway.com.

And sometimes.....who am I kidding.....CONSTANTLY, I am interrupted by curly-blond-haired beauties clad in footie pajamas covered in robots.  More juice.  More goldfish.  The show is over; can we pick another one?  Sometimes, against my better judgment, I give into my sinful urges to grumble. 

But other times, I reach out my arms to draw that precious little soul in for a hug, and I watch her tiny feet stretch onto their toes as she reaches up to put her arms around my neck.  How can my heart do anything but melt?

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul." Psalm 143:8

1 comment:

Tim said...

I wish I could be there every morning for that!

Post a Comment